Sunday, January 26, 2014

Jig It!

Yesterday, I faced the cold and helped out at the 8th Annual Jig-It Fishing Tournament in Escanaba. The proceeds benefit Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Bay Area. The events included the Fishing Tournament, a Kid's Koop, Raffles, Food, Music, Prizes, and Fun. Although it was extremely cold out, there was a great turn-out, quite a few fish were caught, and one lucky fisherman went home with a $2,000 prize!

My Little Sister came along with me to help. She has been my Little since April of 2013. We do many different activities together including going to parks, ice skating, roller skating, bowling, watching movies, building things, doing homework, doing community service, going out to eat, and just hanging out. She's a great kid and we always have a great time together no matter what we are doing.

My Little and I at the Jig-It Fishing Tournament

Prior to her, I had another Little for 7 years. When she graduated High School last year and went on to college, I started with my new Little. I also participate in the school Mentoring program. Once a week, I go to the local school and spend time with my Little there. We spend a half hour doing homework and then the next half hour we play games, go outside, read, whatever the kids want to do.

The Big Brothers Big Sisters program is truly a great program and it does make a difference in the lives of both the Littles and the Bigs. For more information on becoming a Big or referring a child as a Little, please visit the BBBS website.

No comments:

Post a Comment