Monday, August 4, 2014

How to Make a Felt Giraffe Toy

Last week, I made my nephew a safari-themed mobile. My brother had looked at a few on Etsy that he liked, but they were quite costly. He asked if I would be able to make one. It was super easy and it turned out pretty cute. The entire mobile costs less than $5 to make! Each animal costs less than $1 to make!

Today, I will show you how to make the giraffe. I made mine basic colors, but you can make yours any color that you want.



Needed Materials:

Yellow Felt (body)
Orange Felt (muzzle, horns, spots, and tail)
White Felt (outer eyes)
Black Felt (inner eyes)
Small Amount of Polyfill Stuffing
Sewing Needle
Thread
Craft Glue


Step 1. Make a template. I looked through several clip-art giraffes for ideas and then drew up a template. I am not artsy at all, so you may want to come up with your own ideas. Here is pdf file of the giraffe template that I used.


Step 2. Using your template, cut the giraffe out of the felt. I did find that it was a little easier to cut out the template if I pinned the template to the felt and then cut around it.


Step 3. Staying close to the edges, sew around the entire giraffe. Place the horns and tail pieces in place as you sew around the body. Be sure to leave an open space to put in the stuffing. 

Step 4. Lightly stuff the giraffe's body.


Step 5. Once you are happy with the amount of stuffing, sew the hole shut.

Step 6. Glue or sew on a face and spots. I did not make a template for the eyes or spots, because they are just ovals and circles. However, you might choose to use safety eyes or googly eyes or whatever you want.


I think this giraffe turned out pretty cute. These felt animals would also make great toys or even decorations. You could also skip the stuffing and use them as embellishments.

Tomorrow, I will show you how to make the monkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment