Monday, May 12, 2014

Make a Birdhouse for under $1

I wanted to build some quick bird houses. I found this pattern on Ana White's Website. This pattern uses just one cedar fence picket to make two birdhouses. I bought a couple cedar fence pickets at Menards. The pickets were on sale for $1.18. That means only $.59 a birdhouse!

The project plan on Ana White's website is very detailed, but here are the steps that I took to make mine.

Needed Supplies:
6' cedar picket at 5 1/2" wide and 1/2" thick. (this will make 2 houses)
1 1/4" nails and screws, suitable for exterior use.
Wood glue, suitable for exterior use.

Step 1: Using a 5 1/2 inch wide x 6 foot cedar picket, cut the following pieces.
1 at 5 1/2" x 8 1/2"  (back)
2 at 5 1/2" x 5 1/2"  (top and bottom)
1 at 5 1/2" x 5"  (front)
2 at 5 1/2" x 4 3/4"  (sides)

Step 2: Connect the sides to the front. I used wood glue to initially connect them.

Step 3: I then used 1 1/4" nails to attach the sides to the front.

Step 4: Attach the back to the bottom.

Step 5: Attach the front and sides to the bottom.

Step 6: Attach the back to the sides.

Step 7: Attach the top to the sides. I used 1 1/4" screws for this step. When the birdhouse needs cleaning, I can easily remove the top using the screws.


Step 8: Drill a hole in the house. If you chose to add a perch you can, I chose not to add one to prevent any predators from trying to enter the house.

I made two birdhouses. Now, I just need to attach them to a tree or a post and wait for the birds to move in.










No comments:

Post a Comment