Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Last Minute DIY Advent Calendar Tree

This is last minute, but this project is easy enough to do in just one day!

I found this Stocking Tree Advent Calendar at Pottery Barn. I loved the look of it, but I did not like the $199 price tag. I knew I could make my own version for much cheaper. 
  
Here is the version that I made. I made this for under $20. Depending upon what you use, you could possibly make it cheaper!

Here are the steps to take to make one.

Needed materials:
  • 1” x 2” at 8’
  • 1” x 3” at 4’
  • Saw
  • Kreg Jig
  • 1 1/4" pocket hole screws
  • Sander or sandpaper
  • Wood Glue 
  • Paint
  • 6” Wood star or 1/4” Plywood 6” x 6”
  • 25 small hooks or clips
  • 25 small bags or stockings
  • Fabric Marker
  • D-hooks to hang the tree
  • Jig or Scroll Saw (if making your own star)

Step 1: Cut Your Boards.

Needed cuts:
2 - 1” x 2” at 2 ½” one end cut at 45 degree angle.
2 - 1” x 2” at 5 ½” one end cut at 45 degree angle.
2 - 1” x 2” at 8 ½” one end cut at 45 degree angle.
2 - 1” x 2” at 11 ½” one end cut at 45 degree angle.
2 - 1” x 2” at 13 ¾” one end cut at 45 degree angle.
1 – 1” x 3” at 38 ½”

I found a 3 pack of these 6” wood stars on clearance for $2. But if you are making your own star, draw a star on your plywood and cut it out using a jig saw or scroll saw.

Step 2. Using a Kreg jig set at the 3/4" setting, drill pocket holes in the non-mitered end of the 1” x 2” pieces.

Step 3. Using the pocket hole screws and glue, attach the 1” x 2” pieces to the 1” x 3”. The longest pieces flush to the bottom of the 1" x 3" and gradually moving up to the smaller pieces. I attached all one side and then all the other. I left a 5 ½” space between each.


Step 4: Sand all surfaces.

Step 5: Paint the tree and star. 

I decided to also write the last name of the family that I was making this for on the star.

Step 6: Using the wood glue, glue the star to the top and attach the clips. If you are using hooks, you probably will need to screw in those.

I decided to use the small craft clothespins. I put some washi tape on the clothespins to make them look a little cuter.



Step 7: Attach hooks to the back so you can hang it. I used D hooks. I had originally planned on using only one D hook. These particular hooks can hold up to 20 pounds. That really should be sufficient, but just in case the gifts in the bags happen to be heavy, I decided to use two of the D hooks.

Step 8: Hang your bags or stockings. I found these little bags. I took a fabric marker and wrote the numbers on each bag.

Step 9: Hang your Advent Calendar on the wall and enjoy your holiday countdown!















No comments:

Post a Comment