Monday, October 5, 2015

Scrap 2x4 Halloween Monsters


I wanted to make some new Halloween decorations, and I wanted them to be fast and easy to make. I decided to make these little monsters out of scrap 2x4 blocks. I had all the supplies on hand, so they were completely free!

Needed Materials:
Scrap Wood Blocks - I used scrap 2x4s and 1x2s, but you could use 2x3s, 2x6s or any other scrap wood you have laying around.
Paint
Wood Glue
Scraps of fabric (for the mummy)

Here is how I made each of my monsters.

Step 1: Cut your wood
You can cut your blocks to be whatever size you want. I rummaged through my scrap bin and used scraps that were 3"-5".


Step 2: Sand
Ensure that everything is sanded smooth.


Step 3: Paint
I did not use any kind of template. I just drew on a design with pencil and then painted it. You could also do a search for templates and then trace them on.

Step 4: Glue on extra parts (if applicable)

Step 5: Enjoy your Bootiful Halloween decorations!

Frankenstein

Use your wood block and cut two small blocks from a 1x2 for the bolts. You could also use a dowel, screws, or bolts.

Mummy

Use your wood block and paint on the eyes. Then, wrap the scrap fabric around the board, gluing it on as you wrap. I tore strips from an old pillow case, but any kind of scraps that you have laying around would work.

Jack-O'-Lantern

Use your wood block and cut a small block from a 1x2 for a stem. You could also use a dowel or even a stick.

Ghost

Nothing extra is needed for this one. Just paint it!

Black Cat

Use your wood block and cut two triangles from a 1x2 for ears. The eyes I painted are not the greatest, but they work for me. I had originally painted on a nose, mouth, and whiskers on my cat. But then it looked too friendly, so I painted over them. Now I think it looks like Batman. Oh well, he is kind of scary, too!

These scrap 2x4 Halloween monsters are inexpensive, quick, and easy to make. They would make a great kid's project. The kids could personalize the monsters anyway that they want.


1 comment: