Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Popsicle Stick Sunburst

I've been looking for decorations to brighten one of the bedrooms. I made a couple these plastic spoon flowers. You can see how I made them here.


I think the flowers brighten that side of the room, but I wanted something for another wall. I saw this at Target and I thought I could make something similar.


I was just winging it when I made this. At first, I thought I could use paint sticks, but I could only find about 5 sticks. I could have made a run to Menards to get some, but while I was searching I found popsicle sticks. I decided to give it a try with the popsicle sticks.

Here are the needed supplies to make your own:
Cardboard (I cut mine into a 10 inch circle.)
Popsicle Sticks (I used 36.)
Spray Paint
Aluminum Foil
Hot Glue Gun
Hot Glue Gun Sticks


Step 1: Spray paint the popsicle sticks. I found that popsicle sticks are very lightweight and have a tendency to flip over and move around when you spray paint them due to the force of the spray. If I made this again, I would not spray them until they were attached.


I really had no idea how I was going to lay the sticks out on Sunburst, so I just grabbed a handful of the sticks to pay. I spray painted a lot more than I actually used.

Step 2: Wrap the cardboard circle with aluminum foil.



Step 3: Glue the popsicle sticks to the back of the wrapped circle. Make sure the painted side is facing the front.



That's all there is to it! I glued a small piece of yarn to the back and used a small finishing nail to hang it on the wall. It's not the greatest, but it looks alright. It also was completely free, since I already had everything around the house so that can't be beat! 


This would be a great project for kids to decorate their rooms and it is super fast and easy!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment