Sunday, April 6, 2014

Replacing a Gas Stove Electric Igniter

For the past few months, my oven has been taken longer and longer to heat up and cook. I did not know anything about how a gas stove really works and I was afraid that I was going to have to either hire someone to come fix it or buy a new oven. Before I jumped into hiring someone or buying a new oven, I decided I would research the problem and attempt to fix it myself.

After some research, I came to the conclusion that I had a faulty igniter. The information that I found seemed like it would be an easy fix. I located a replacement igniter for just under $25 from Sears. I figured that if I messed something up, that at least I would only be out $25 and my time.

A gas stove with an electric ignition burner has an igniter that glows similar to a light bulb. This igniter gets hot and once it reaches a certain temperature, it triggers the oven valve to open and the gas flame appears. In a working oven, the flame should appear within a minute of turning on the oven. My oven was taking more than 10 minutes for the flame to appear. This is a picture of the faulty igniter. It did glow, but just was not getting hot enough to start the flame.

Once I determined that the problem was the igniter, the fix only required the use of a few tools.

A Robertson (square) screwdriver, flat-head screwdriver, wrench, and wire cutter were the only tools needed for this fix.
The new igniter came with two porcelain wire nuts.
Before doing anything else, I made sure the oven was unplugged and that the gas line to the oven was turned off. I did not remove my oven door, but it probably would make the fix a little bit easier to reach. If you chose to do this, now would be the time.

I then removed the oven racks.
The bottom of my oven is held in by two flat-head screws at the back of the oven. I removed the screws, slid the oven bottom forward and lifted it out.
The Oven Baffle was then visible. My baffle was held on by one nut, which I removed with the wrench.
I set the oven racks, bottom, and baffle aside. Then I could finally get to the actual problem.
My igniter was held in by two Robertson screws and washers. I just removed the screws and cut the wires to the faulty igniter. Since my model of oven had two wires coming from the ingniter, I made note of what each wire was connected to. This was to ensure I connected the new igniter wires to the proper location.  
Since I had never done this before, I decided to cut my wires longer than what they ultimately needed to be. I wanted to be able to cut it shorter and try again if I made a mistake. I stripped the wires and lined them up to the wires attached to the oven.
I placed the wire nuts on the wires and gave them a twist.
I then attached the new igniter and made sure that the wires were in the correct locations. To me, it looks like the new igniter has a little happy face!
The fix was done at this point, but I wanted to test it out before I put everything back together. The new igniter lit right up and started the gas within 30 seconds. So I just put everything back together in the opposite order.
This was actually a quick and easy fix and it saved me a ton of money since I could do it myself and I did not have to buy a new oven.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting topic for a blog. I have been searching the Internet for fun and came upon your website. Fabulous post. Thanks a ton for sharing your knowledge! It is great to see that some people still put in an effort into managing their websites. I'll be sure to check back again real soon. Viking, Dacor, NXR, Wolf STOVE AND RANGE REPAIR IN CHINO

    ReplyDelete