Sunday, September 14, 2014

DIY Nightstand

I am working on building myself a new bedroom set. This nightstand was very easy and fast to build. Most of the supplies I used for this project were left over from other projects. However, if you need to buy all the wood, you could do it for under $40. Here are the instructions on how to build your own.


This night stand was inspired by a couple different nightstands. The first one was Restoration Hardware's 30" Heirloom Silver-Chest Open Nightstand. I liked the simple look, but not the $950 price. I also did not really care for the hardware on it. I also liked the look of Pottery Barn Kid's Catalina Nightstand. I liked the open front and it was not as chunky looking. It was also $199. So, I merged the two and drew up my own plan.

Needed Materials:
1 - 1" x 2" at 8 feet long
1 - 1" x 4" at 8 feet long
1 - 1" x 4" at 2 feet long
1 - 1/4" x 2' x 4' plywood 
1 - 1/2" x 2' x 8' plywood
1 - 3/4" x 2' x 4' plywood 
1 1/4" pocket hole screws
1" pocket hole screws
1 1/4" finishing nails
wood glue

Most of my materials were already at my house. You may choose to use one 3/4" x 4' x 4' plywood instead of the 3/4" x 2' x 4' plywood and 1/2" x 2' x 8' plywood, just be sure to adjust your measurements.

Step 1: Make your wood cuts.
Wood Cuts:
2 - 1/2" plywood cut at 16" x 26" (sides)
3 - 3/4" plywood cut at 16" x 20"  (shelves)
2 - 1" x 2" at 26" (front trim)
3 - 1" x 2" at 18 1/4" (front trim)
1 - 1/4" plywood cut at 21" x 26" (back)
5 - 1" x 4" at 22" (top)

I used my new favorite tool, the Kreg Rip-Cut, to make my plywood cuts. It is amazing! I makes cutting plywood so fast and easy!


Step 2: Drill your pocket holes. Using a Kreg Jig set at the 1/2" setting, drill the pocket holes on the top, middle, and bottom shelf. 

Step 3: Attach the top shelf to the sides. Using 1" pocket hole screws and the pre-drilled pocket holes, attach the top shelf to the sides. If you are using 3/4" plywood for the sides, use the 3/4" Kreg Jig setting and 1 1/4" screws.


Step 4: Attach the bottom shelf to the sides. Follow the same process that you followed for the top shelf.


Step 5: Attach the middle shelf to the sides. Follow the same process that you followed for the top shelf. You can place it where ever you want. I put mine about 9" below the top shelf.


Step 6: Using wood glue and 1 1/4" finishing nails, attach the trim. I used a nailer, but you could also use normal finishing nails.


Step 7: Using wood glue and finishing nails, attach the 1/4" plywood back.


I had originally planned on putting an 18" x 22" piece of plywood on top, but to give it a little more character, I decided to put 5 - 1" x 4" boards on top. 

Step 8: Using wood glue and 1 1/4" finishing nails, attach the 1" x 4" boards to the top.



Step 9: Fill any holes with wood filler and sand it.

Step 10: Stain or paint the night stand. I used Rustoleum Painter's Touch in Kona Brown.


Step 11: Enjoy your new nightstand!





No comments:

Post a Comment