Sunday, March 29, 2015

DIY Scrap 2x4 Bunny

Although there is still some snow lingering in the back yard, I wanted to make a quick spring decoration. I dug through my scrap wood pile for some inspiration. This past winter, my Little Sister made these cute snowmen out of 2x4s. I love how they turned out!


I decided I would make a bunny out of some scrap wood. 


If you would like to make your own, here are the steps I took to make mine.

Needed materials:
2" x 4" @ 6"
1" x 2" - @ 7"
1/4" plywood scrap (optional)
Paint
Wood Glue
Sander or sanding block
Miscellaneous craft supplies (ribbon, wire, pom pom, felt, foam sheet, fabric, etc.)

Step 1: Cut your wood. I used scraps, so I did not have to cut anything, but here are the sizes I used. You can make your cuts any length you want.

Wood cuts:
1 - 2" x 4" cut at 6" (body) - I grabbed a scrap that was about 6" long.
2 - 1" x 2" cut at 3 1/2" (ears) - I used scraps that were about 3 1/2" long.
1 - 1/4" plywood cut at 1 3/8" triangle (nose) - I used a scrap from when I made the charging stations, so the dimensions were not perfect at all. These would also be cute with a larger or smaller sized nose. If you don't have any 1/4" plywood laying around, you could use a piece of felt or foam or even just paint the nose on.


Step 2: Sand your wood pieces. I forgot to take a picture of this step, so this is an old picture, but sand everything. You may also want to round the corners on the nose.


Step 3: Paint your bunny body, ears, and nose. Again, I just used paint that was left over from other projects.


I didn't bother making a template for the inside of the ears. I just painted it by free hand. If you don't want to paint, you could glue on felt, foam, or other fabric for the inside of the ears.


Step 4: Using wood glue, glue on the ears and nose. Again, I forgot to take a picture at that step. Sorry! 

Step 5: Paint on the eyes and mouth. I just did this by free handing it. I'm not very artsy, so my eyes are not great. You could also try using googly eyes for a goofy looking bunny.


Step 6: Add the whiskers and bow. I used some floral wire for the whiskers and a piece of ribbon and a button for the bow. 


Step 7: Add the tail. A bunny would not be complete without a pom pom or cotton ball tail.


This was super easy to make and it didn't cost me anything at all! What makes it great is that it is completely customizable! This would also make a great spring craft for the kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment