Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Mod Podging a Photo onto Wood

A couple weeks ago, I got a coupon for a free 11" x 14" poster from Walgreens. I've always loved this picture, so I decided to redeem the coupon for this photo.


I had planned on getting a frame for the picture, but then I decided that I would use some of the scrap wood that I have in my basement. I mod podged the poster onto a piece of plywood and I'm really happy how it turned out. Here are the steps I took, so you can make one of your own.

Needed materials:
Photograph - I used 11" x 14", but any size can be used.
Piece of wood - I used 14" x 17", but any size can be used.
Stain or Paint
Mod Podge (or make your own with craft glue and water)
Foam Brush
Very Fine Grit Sandpaper (optional)

Step 1: Cut the wood down to size. I decided to have a 1 1/2" border around my picture. You can use whatever size you want.


Step 2: Stain or paint your wood. I used some Minwax Dark Walnut stain that I had leftover. Since I wanted a 1 1/2" border, I did not bother staining the middle. If you want a more rustic look, you may want to use sand paper to roughen up the edges at this step.

Step 3: Mark the location of your picture. I made a border of 1 1/2", but you can make your border any size.


Step 4: Using a foam brush, spread the Mod Podge on the back of the picture. If you do not have Mod Podge, just mix equal parts craft glue and water. It works just as well as the real stuff.


Step 5: Place the picture on the board.


Step 6: Seal the edges of the photo with the Mod Podge.


Step 7: Brush a thin layer of the Mod Podge across the entire board and picture. Keep your brush strokes in one direction. Don't worry, it is supposed to look like this.


Step 8: Let the Mod Podge dry and then apply more layers. I applied 4 layers to make sure it was completely sealed and protected, but the number of layers you apply is up to you.

Step 9: If the Mod Podge is more textured than you like, you can wet sand it with a very fine grit paper. I like the more textured look, so I did not sand mine.

Step 10: Attach any picture hanging hardware. I have not decided where I am going to put my picture, so I'm not going to put any picture hangers on it right now. But, you could put it on a shelf, lean it against the wall, put eye hooks into the top and hang it with a ribbon or string, or attach sawtooth hangers to the back.

Step 11: Display your picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment